The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > General > Main Forum
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang
Default Why Is It...

That a grocery store has so many lanes in them but they never all get used?

I've never been in a grocery store in all my life and ever seen all the check stands being used. All I can think of seeing as many as 5-6 ever at a time and it still doesn't help keep the flow going. I don't know if its something here in Washington but man the lines have gotten longer and slower. Hello I see you got 18 stands SO OPEN THEM UP ALREADY! I don't mind standing in line but not moving for 5 mins and then you got your occasional chatty cathy checker that talks a little tooo much when she needs to hurry it along a bit more.

I just don't get it
Old 07-06-2004, 02:06 AM   #2
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

I don't either.... Very strange... The only thing I can think of is if everyone has to do data entry or something, like entering SKUs/Prices...

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:18 AM   #3
insaneferret
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to insaneferret

that always pissed me off too, the local target has 30 lanes, nimberes with big red neon lights, i have never seen more than 2 open, and there is always a 3-5 person line, they should scrap them all and make everything those self-checkout machines
Old 07-06-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
Maz
Forum wh0re

same here, like 15 lanes, 3 are open, you have to wait 15 minutes to see the cashier

another thing, you go in the 1 to 5 item lane, and there always someone with 30++ items in that lane
Old 07-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Jode
Whoopiteedoo!

Our stores are pretty good about it in this area. I always seem to be the person that the clerk comes up to and says "I can help you over here". Thats the only thing I have luck with though!!
I have to say I think Albertsons is the worst with the checkstands though. They only ever have 2 lanes open and they have the slowest checkers in the world!
I like the places that have the self checkout the best!!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #6
Stang
Team Captain

We are using those self check outs more too but man those can get just as bad too. They need to add more. Be nice if more stores would add those into their store especially if they are not going to use more of their self checkers.

Oh I hate when people do that with more than 10 items!!! And what makes it worse the checker doesnt say anything and lets them get away with it.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
Jode
Whoopiteedoo!

yah usually the only thing the checker can say is "oh just remember for next time that this is the express lane" because they don't want to piss of the customer. But it sucks when you are the one counting all your items and making sure and then the person in front of you has a ton of stuff!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:18 PM   #8
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

Albertson's down here JUST got the self-checkout lanes. Cool! No limit on the number of items either!

Albertson's is almost always busy too. At least 8 of their 12 lanes open, plus 4 self-checkout.
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:25 AM   #9
Maz
Forum wh0re

the clerk can;t say anything really if someone has too many items, only the customer can.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:39 AM   #10
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

That's right... so next time that happens, drop your purse and put your fists up... It's time to teach those soccer moms some lessons

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:28 AM   #11
Maz
Forum wh0re

or grab something from the frozen section and start swinging
Old 07-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #12
Stang
Team Captain

Or but your basket down in line and say "hold on I need to grab a few more items cuz aparently this isnt a 10 items or less lane"
Old 07-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #13
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

I talked to a Wal-Mart line manager once about this. From her point of view, the problem is that the checkers (whom you must remember don't get paid a whole lot) often call in sick, quit suddenly, or just don't show up that day. In a big store, it doesn't take too many of those to affect the lines adversely. And the stores aren't going to "overbook" checkers, and they built as many lanes as they did for peak period capacity and planning for one or two to be broken.
That doesn't absolve the store from responsibility, of course, since they can be more selective in their checker process and the like. But it boils down to economics, and how many people you can hire for the least amount of money. After all, when not all the checkers show up, it doesn't really hurt operations much - the customers just have to wait a little longer. Sigh.

I like self checkout when you don't have many items. But the safeguards built into the system, like forcing you to bag each item by sensing motion or weight on the bagging shelf, make self-checkout for a large number of items a real pain. Gotta build it for the lowest common denominator of intelligence, y'know. Though they are getting better.

Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained.
-The Tao of Programming
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:09 PM   #14
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

Gambit, I've not had much of a problem getting large amounts of stuff through self-checkout. Almost 95% of the time I've been quicker than if I had stood in line in the express lanes too!
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #15
XRogue
Forum wh0re

I have to say, I have checked more than 75 items at a time thru a self checkout stand and done well with it. (Wally World has no limits on theirs) I like the silly things. But then again, I don't like talking to checkers, and I always get the ones that want to be Chatty Cathy or something.
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote