The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > Specialty Forums > Artists Niche
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Send a message via ICQ to Raiyven Send a message via MSN to Raiyven
Default game poetry?

okay, let's be honest. we've played games that have moved us in ways we didnt think electronic entertainment would. it's even gone so far in me to come out in poetry.

what games, if any, have had such an effect on you? for me, Homeworld (the first. wrote a poem, will try to find it), Final Fantasy X (i bawled at the end)

anyone?

(beware, im pretty open about these things )

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Raiyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

Thief 2 had a poem IN it... and it was awesomely moving

She's named after Judas... Not a CARROT

Click here to view my artwork
KitZune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
Ghryphen
THZ Founder

Monster Truck Madness, I was in amazement that I was playing a 3d game with real people.
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

Tribes, it felt weird that I was able to play with real people around the world.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
SiFi
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to SiFi Send a message via AIM to SiFi Send a message via MSN to SiFi

Was that the Interpreter talking about the "bretheren and betrayer," kitz? That awas an awesome game, wish it still worked

No game has really ever moved me to the point of poetry, though some have come close: Homeworld, System Shock 2 (for scare factor), Knights of the Old Republic (Evil ending, for sheer audacity and vindication).

In any case, my poetry tends to be somewhat...angry. Raiyven and Laurelin were both in my creative writing class in high school, and they can attest to that.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

angry, but so very poignant.

WRITHEEEEED!

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Old 11-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #7
SiFi
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to SiFi Send a message via AIM to SiFi Send a message via MSN to SiFi

HAhahahahahaha. Poor guy. At least he tried.

How do you mean, poignant?
Old 11-20-2004, 07:20 PM   #8
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

i dont recall the pieces, but i DO remember one that was angry as you put it, but just the way you worded it, it really stuck with me. like it was a literary exemplification of your mind, my friend. but it was said in such a way that had such standing power.

i wish i could find mine

Old 11-20-2004, 09:29 PM   #9
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

Yeah Sifi... I wrote out the entire poem on paper by listening to the video clip over and over again... It's a really nice poem if you filter it out from the chatter in the background.

But ALSO the ending cinematic... that made me cry with "awesomeness" With Karas saying his Prophecy about "the Children" while... his children are strangely not where they're supposed to be.... and then you close the door. (Karas screams)

Old 11-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
SiFi
Forum Regular

And always the watchers are there. The bastards.

Raiyven, do you at least remember the title/subject? Then maybe I could post it.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:12 AM   #11
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

You can't really "get" Thief 2 unless you played Thief 1, IMHO. That's a pretty interesting world they've built there.

Homeworld was indeed a very moving game. Probably the most such that I've played.

Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained.
-The Tao of Programming
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #12
SiFi
Forum Regular

The undead in Thief 1 scared the crap out of me. It took me four times as long as it should have to finish the boneyard because I was terrified of the zombies.

Do you have an opinion on Thief 3? I've played quite a bit of it, and as far as I can tell it stays true to it's roots. I've had graphics problems, because of my ATI drivers inability to approve of any AGP speed above ZERO, but I've still enjoyed the game.

Damnit Kitz, Theif Core has warped my ability to spell "thief." Both instances of the word above were misspelled. >:-(
Old 11-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #13
KitZune
Transgendered

WORD! THEIF CORE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree though.. Thief 1 is a MUST PLAY before you can play Thief 2 and get the full enjoyment out of it. I love the thief series... still gotta play the third.

((THEIF BTW stands for The HEATHER Examination and Infiltraion Force... originally... I'm prolly gonna change that. VERY USELESS FACT: THEIF CORE was the original title to HEATHER (being that "Heather" was mor important and less confusing I changed the game name to that) But some of the original ispiration was spurred by a song called "Thief" by Our Lady Peace... Being that it talked about a "House built out in space" which reminded me of "The Black Bricked House" from my old poem collection "The Insane Man" I also had a nightmare about some aspects of the game while in mexico (Before the inspiration spur from OLP) That scared me, but I didn't think anything of it, never thought I'd use it for anything until I heard that song say "I can't see the thief that lives inside your head. But I can be some courage at the side of your bed." Obviously I TOTALLY took the song lyrics out of context but the result, you must say, is quite impressive. So I keep listening to songs... and keep getting ideas. This concludes your lesson in "HEATHER" for today.))

Last edited by KitZune; 11-21-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #14
Stikes

Send a message via AIM to Stikes

Final fantasy 7 at end of disc one I cryed