The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > Specialty Forums > Artists Niche
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2004, 06:04 PM   #16
Torque
Forum Regular

Convertible cuda hemi's are going for a million bucks. I can't remember the year but I believe it was 1972. Only 1200 were made.
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #17
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Send a message via ICQ to Raiyven Send a message via MSN to Raiyven

i can't tell you how many 'That Thing Got A Hemi?' t-shirts I saw at carlisle. Didn't outweigh the number of mullets, thats for sure

mmmm speaking of convertibles, I saw a bright pastel blue '66 rambler american convertible going for 23k (CDN) at a car auction a month ago (didnt sell at 26 grand). Gorgeous car, though the guy said he spent 25 grand on a frame-off restoration. He got ripped off... bad bondo job, and you could SEE the ripples, and the restoration job was only a year old and already the threads were coming out of the door panels.

but at the same show.... (i think it was a) 1972 cutlass convertible. pure white, tan interior, i wanted to marry that machine right there. If you ever want to see some gorgeous (and WEIRD) machines, go to a car auction. *sigh* wish i'd bid on that MG Midget. Full frame-off restoration, and the guy let it go for 9 grand canadian. WHY DIDNT I BID ON IT? *cries a river*

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Raiyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:17 AM   #18
8bit

Raiyven, you are correct, the Rebel Machine is not a Mopar car. The article is a bit misleading. The Rebel Machine is a product of American Motors, what used to be America's fourth largest car maker. American Motors (also known as AMC) was formed in 1954 by the merger of Nash and Hudson, in 1970 AM bought Kaiser-Jeep (yes the famous Jeep brand). Struggling into the 1980s after a semi successful alliance with Renault, American Motors was bought out by Chrysler in the mid 1980s and the last AMC badged car was produced in 1987. The boxy Jeep Cherokee of the 1980s and 90s was an AMC design, so too is the 4.0 HO injected I6 that powers a number of Chrysler Jeeps, it is related to the old 4.2 that powered so many AMC Gremlins and Hornets.

1970s Camaro range

Force 7 coupe

Smokey & The Bandit Trans Am
8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:50 AM   #19
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

thanks 8bit, i didnt know AMC was independent of Chrysler to such a late period, I thought they merged much earlier (in the 60s, i thought). the SpeedVision channel up here had a great documentary on the AMX, gorgeous little machine.

I have fond memories of my AMC Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6
That 6, like the slant-6 in my cuda, you just can't kill those things. I'm not sure if it was standard, but i had an electronic override for my tranny that let me switch between high-power torque and fuel economy (lol! whats fuel economy to a Jeep? 65l tank [16.someodd gallons] got me through maybe 10 days. but, the thing had 197,000km on it and purred at an idle). that was a great machine, sad to say I sold it for a 91 cavalier

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Old 11-17-2004, 09:11 AM   #20
SiFi
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to SiFi Send a message via AIM to SiFi Send a message via MSN to SiFi

Why did you sell it? And why do you seem to get a "new" car every few years?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #21
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

okay, here's it all in fairness.

1st car: 1987 Mazda B2200 pickup. frame cracked, almost broke in half, unsafe to drive, had to send her to the scrapyard *sniffles*

2nd car: aforementioned 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. excellent machine, loved it to death, but it cost me a fortune to keep full of gas when I was still only working 2 days a week for my mum. didnt make enough to save AND keep it full of gas. sold it in favour of something with better fuel economy.

3rd car: 1991 chevrolet cavalier. bought for better fuel economy. sold it a year later because it was a maintenance nightmare. things were constantly going wrong with it as a result of many past years of neglect (which were apparent once i started to work on it). Father's friend and dealer in used cars stopped by one night with a 2001 Saturn SC1 for my to test drive, to see if I liked it.

4th car: 2001 Saturn SC1 and i'm keeping this baby until there's no more oil in the ground, cause i love it to death *hugs his plastic car*

Old 11-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #22
8bit

AMC bought Kaiser-Jeep for much the same reason that Chrysler bought AMC, which was to get Jeep and all marketing rights pertaining to Jeep. Jeep sales certainly kept AMC afloat for many years. I have a color advert from 1984 showing the Cherokee, with no mention of Chrysler in the ad, just the blue and red of AM.
Would you believe that the man who designed the AMC AMX 2 seater was the same guy that did the Hornet, Gremlin, Pacer and the 1980s boxy Cherokee? It was the late Dick Teague.
The AMX 2 seater was eventually replaced by the regular 4 seater Javelin with an AMX badge. 1974 was the last year for this car, and it was still available with a 401 motor. In 1977-80 AMX returned as a rebadged Hornet and Spirit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...502848869&rd=1

You have to see this special Gremlin 401. A dealer in Mesa Arizona built 20 special Gremlins with the 401 ci V8. 401 ci in a 168 inch car is BIG!

http://www.gremlinx.com/RandallXR.htm

http://www.gremlinx.com/images/wpe6.gif
Old 11-18-2004, 03:25 PM   #23
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

OMG A GREMLIN!

My dad had one of those when we live in Alaska, brrr. There was a hole in the back seat floor in the middle that I would sit and watch the road when we went out. Same color as that first link lol. That thing was just weird . Ahh the memories!
Old 11-20-2004, 07:25 PM   #24
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

while we're on the topic, sortsof..

we've seen the retro 'stang, and chevy brought out that S11 retro pickup (which went for 86k CDN first year. then they realized nobody BOUGHT the thing. 50k now I think. nice truck, tho.) what else do we want to see brought back, though maybe modernized?

give me a challenger

...........or an El Camino. They're not a bad car, dont look bad... but every time I see one around here, there's a mullet behind the wheel =/ maybe the El Camino will bring the mullet back into style! business in the front, party in the back

Old 11-21-2004, 12:57 AM   #25
8bit

Business in the front, party in the back. Are we talking about the mullet, El Camino or both?
That pick up, wasn't it the SSR (dark blue) Chevy that paced the Indy 500? I think it is well high time that they launched a new AMC AMX 2 seater, given Chrysler have the rights to all things AMC. A real tight, compact 2 seater coupe with a big V8 and "GO Pak" like the late 60s original. We need to see more rear drivers.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:09 AM   #26
SiFi
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to SiFi Send a message via AIM to SiFi Send a message via MSN to SiFi

When the oil runs out, you could always stick a hydrogen engine and some speakers under the hood. Or even a fuel cell
Old 11-21-2004, 08:54 PM   #27
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

Make sure none of these cars get hit with a dirty nuclear blast...

She's named after Judas... Not a CARROT

Click here to view my artwork
KitZune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #28
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

nope, you're right 8bit, that's the one i meant (S11? where was i, 1993?)
SiFi, if it ain't got more horses than alberta under a fat 4bbl and enough rumble to give your passenger an orgasm, i don't want it

Old 11-23-2004, 02:50 AM   #29
8bit

I will put up a link so people will know what truck we are talking about. The SSR reminds me of project show cars turned into production like the Dodge Prowler and Audi TT.

Chevy SSR Indy 500 2003 Pace Car

4bbl carb was a really simple way to high performance before fuel injection came along. Yes, you can get more from triple 2bbls, but they are hard to keep tuned.

454 Vette

455 HO Grand Prix
Old 11-26-2004, 02:02 PM   #30
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

i'm still trying to find a picture of our Cuda. The '68 fastback formula S is still floating around, but a lot of this B-body stuff is hard to find. We've been to the Carlisle Mopar Nationals, Moparfest up here in the North, even the weekly Cruise Nights at the mall across town wednesday nights during the summer. In all these years we've only seen one other '68 (cherry red convertible, gorgeous machine), and a '69 fastback. But ours is the only '68 notchback around right now. It's a pity... for a tiem nobody wanted these B-bodies, but now it's almost impossible to find parts that arent NOS