The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > General > Main Forum
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2001, 07:52 PM   #1
Mythril Gear

Question Operating Systems

As some of you already know, I am an Operating system freak. I've used every version of Windows from 3.0 (3.1, 95, 98, 98SE) to ME, and 2000. I've used several types of Unix too, including Linux (Slackware, Mandrake, and Storm), HP-UX, and Solaris. I've even seen some more rare OS's like BeOS. I also, on occasion, have used MacOS (some 6.something - the OLD B&W one, to 7.x, the newest MacOS, but I haven't seen OS X yet...)
During all my travels, the two OS's that stand out above them all are Windows NT 2000 and BeOS. no matter how many I try, none seem to match Windows for ease of setup, hardware and software support. Linux comes *kinda* close for software support, but BeOS is the king of hardware. (It's really quite an indescribable experience, you must see to believe... It's coded so well that it NEVER crashes badly enough to reset your system, and it's fast as all heck! If only it was still in development, it would be the perfect OS, alas.....)
My question to you is: I am bored, I wanna install another OS on my PC. I have over 40 gigs floating around. What should I go for? I was kinda thinking Linux, but that's old hat (a pun on Red Hat, get it?), however it is the most usefull of the non-windows OS's. Then I was thinking I'd do BeOS again, but it was completely useless as an OS to do work with, because of its pitifully small software base. If only MacOS X was out for PC...
So, I am looking for a hardware-hacking, hdd-stretching, multi-booting, cdrom-dumping, configfile-seraching, cpu-busting challenge. It has been such a long time since I had so much fun with my computer. What do you propose I try?
Old 07-16-2001, 04:15 AM   #2
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia
Talking

Try giving me your comp... then see what I'll do with it... won't that be a challenge? To see someone else use your comp? (I know, I know... You want to thank me for coming up with such a great idea)

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 05:17 AM   #3
DeLukas
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to DeLukas

The only other OS I know that you don't have listed is OS/390, but it is only for IBM mainframes.

DeLukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 12:18 PM   #4
Dynomutt
Forum Regular

I hear Atari makes a good OS, have you tried that?
Old 07-16-2001, 07:09 PM   #5
Mythril Gear

DeLukas: OK. ok. I did miss some OS's. (FreeBSD, AIX <- the IBM one, V2OS <- a bomb, QNX <- de bomb(its like BeOS), and some other reeeely obscure ones) I believe that IBM did make some really strange OS's along time ago, unfortunately, I need an OS that comes on something a little more portable than big 1 inch tapes.

Laurelin: you are free to use my computer if you come over sometime Laurelin! (Don't forget that I do have Win2K, and you won't be able to damage my system in any way without the Admin password, so if that was what you was thinkn', well....it aint gonna woik!)

Dynomutt: Atari? As in 2600? They only made a game console, not an OS. I believe you are referring to AMIGA. I haven't heard anything about that. (Although I will now... )
Old 07-17-2001, 04:01 AM   #6
Steffa

ah yes, damaging computers. If only I was mean enough to try and get you back MG. Not that you did it on purpose or anything, but still, I LOST MY COMPUTER, yeah, and i didn't have it for a week and when I did get it back, well it was still screwed up. Okay, I am going to calm down now and leave you alone, sorry everyone else for having to listen to that!

Steffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:48 AM   #7
Stormdancer
Forum Regular

MS-DOS 3.1

Still the best. :>

Stormdancer
Mascot of The Hounds of Zeus
Proud member of the Dragon Talon Mercenaries
Stormdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 09:04 PM   #8
Ambush_Bug
Forum Regular

You want some fun? Hehehe....

OS/2 V.4

Ran that for a couple of years... GREAT OS... beats the SNOT out of NT as far as crash-proof-ness (hell, NT was originally OS/2 v.2x), and has no resource limits.

If you want a challenge, install the EMX runtimes (lets you run Linux apps pretty much natively), and install the Win/OS/2 converter. That thing converts Win32 programs to native OS/2 code, and lets you run them as OS/2 apps.

It's a nice OS, it really is. Hard to find native apps, but what it can do, as far as multitasking, is just AWESOME.
Ambush_Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 05:48 AM   #9
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia
Talking

Wasn't OS/2's ad campaign something about a wave, or something?

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 08:24 AM   #10
Mythril Gear

Dunno, but every good OS has a mascot.
Windows - The Paperclip Guy
Linux - Penguin
BSD - Devil
MacOS - The Happy Mac
OS/2 - ??? (who knows?)
Old 07-18-2001, 08:46 AM   #11
Ambush_Bug
Forum Regular

OS/2's ad campaign (when it had one), was a bunch of guys standing around and playing pool.

I don't get it either.
Ambush_Bug is offline   Reply With Quote