The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > General > Main Forum
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2004, 08:00 AM   #16
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

The problems not how you compare or rate games, jj, but more with how you're using certain labels. (In fact, the points you mentioned like drawing you in and a sense of realism count for an awful lot with me, too)
If you said that tshirt is black, when it's obviously white to me, then we have a communication problem somewhere and at least one of us needs to adjust. So what got everybody twisted up was when you used the same label for game A that you used for game B. Kind of like if you put Donkey Kong and Doom in the same category, people would at least look at you funny...

Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained.
-The Tao of Programming
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #17
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

Gambit knows what I'm talking about. If you look at games without barriers than how can you say one is BETTER than another? I don't like to say that at all... my favourite games are not better than other games, I simply enjoy them more. So if you want to say something is BETTER, then you better be comparing the same sort of game, otherwise people will think you don't know what you're talking about.

My favourite Genre of game is Fighting games... but some of my favourite games are RPGs, or even FPSes... But I'd never call Soul Calibur 2 better than Final Fantasy X. Nor would I call Final Fantasy X better than Soul Calibur 2. However I MIGHT say that Soul Calibur 2 is better than Virtua Fighter 4 (which... it's actually pretty close in my opinion).

Play Final Fantasy 6 or 10... 10 actually made me cry at the end because the story was so engrossing. It's not all that expensive anymore... but I would tell you it's well worth it... It may not be your "Favourite" game... but it's still a good one.

She's named after Judas... Not a CARROT

Click here to view my artwork
KitZune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:51 PM   #18
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

There are twists to that, though. You can easily say, for example, that one product is better-made than another; you KNOW we have all played games that were made very poorly...

(side note: not sure what my FAVE game is, but my fave group of developers would certainly be that Looking Glass crew. Some of whom are now at Irrational, and worked on T:V, I think...)

-The Tao of Programming

Last edited by Gambit; 09-18-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #19
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

Yeah I love the Looking Glass games... System Shock 2... Thief.. awesome games... it's too bad they were scattered to the wind...

Old 09-21-2004, 12:43 PM   #20
Kyrie

I'm a sucker for very customizable characters, so on that basis alone I'm quite interested in Fable. I'm definitely gonna rent it and give it a try, especially now that I'm actually okay with Xbox controllers thanks to Tony Hawk and Halo, haha. I just know I'm gonna feel the urge to make my character an evil bisexual pretty boy.

PS: I have to finish Silent Hill 4 first though, and I've got like two more hours to go in it. It's also three days late for return. Whoops!

PPS: Virtua Fighter 4 kicks Soul Calibur 2's ass.
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:49 AM   #21
KitZune
Transgendered

It's pretty close to me... but the ancient and accurate weaponry over pure martial arts wins it out for me... Virtua Fighter 5 looks good tho.... But I hope Aoi can still do her triple leg-breaker move.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #22
Gambit
Forum wh0re

What do you folks think about the Dead or Alive games, BTW?

-The Tao of Programming
Old 09-23-2004, 08:07 AM   #23
yak
Threadkiller

Send a message via MSN to yak Send a message via Yahoo to yak

doa is a good series of games, ive seen worse games

One can smile, and smile, and still be a villian.-William Shakespeare

Are you trying to tell me that the man who tried to put a rubber fist in my anus was a uhh.. homosexual?-Borat
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #24
STUWEY
Forum Regular

i hope to get DOA Ultimate when it comes out
STUWEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #25
KitZune
Transgendered

DOA is pretty good... moved to Xbox, and since have not played any of them... I'm not a fan of "the box"