The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > General > Main Forum
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Send a message via ICQ to Raiyven Send a message via MSN to Raiyven
Default car audio: need suggestions

Hey everyone, hoping for some help here.

Other than basic principles, I know essentially jack about car audio and who makes what. Right now i'm using the factory stereo and an FM transmitter for my iPod, but quality isn't 100%. I've done a little research into mp3 decks, but most of them either mean the cd readers support mp3/wma files, or that they will support a hookup to an mp3 player.

What I would ideally want is on-board integrated (but removable) storage. Ideally further is touchscreen navigation. I found one stereo whose lcd display was a touchscreen, but the product description wasn't revealing otherwise.

I'm tired of stealing glances at the ipod while i'm driving, or waiting for a stop to change music (seeing as how i drive the highway most of the time, that just doesnt happen)

Preferably also, something that isn't overly gaudy. I don't want to pimp my ride, just listen to my metal in peace.

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Raiyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Ghryphen
THZ Founder

I listen to my stock radio
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Hahaha yeah, I'm considering just that. Besides, I'm still not *too* keen on mucking up my dash and the originality of the car by yanking the stock radio.

However, i did find this

There's an audio shop in town that'll be selling this for 550 CDN, so i'm thinking about spending the coin.

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Old 04-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

Always had good luck with Clarion. Looks good.

We would eventually like to upgrade on one of or a new car so we can listen to the ipod and some sort of setup to listen to dvd's from the laptop thru the stereo. Was nice with our cougar because we had a cassette and cd so just used one of those cassette tape things that hooks up to your dvd device. We use a little transmitter that uses radio stations but that gets staticy sometimes and well its not the same when you have surround thru the car .
Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Cerberus
One bad mofo'n Hound

Our Durango has Satellite radio built in to the stock deck, thats cool. Plus an over head DVD for the kiddies.
My truck has a regular radio, so I set up playlists before I go for my ipod, or just put it on all song, random. Then click till i get one i like.
I am looking at getting a radio that supports HD Radio.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
We use a little transmitter that uses radio stations but that gets staticy sometimes and well its not the same when you have surround thru the car .
Yeah, mine is like that also. What's funny is that it's the electrical discharge from the cylinders firing that's interfering with my signal. I never paid attention to it until I started wondering, 'why does this static sound so regular?' That, and I began to notice it whenever I put my foot down

I was at the auto show in Toronto here back in February, and many new carsare coming with a USB jack in the factory stereo (I distinctly recall KIA doing this. The Rio5 with the sport package was actually a good looking lil car). Even my fiancee's 99 Civic has an auxiliary jack in the center console. If i'm not mistaken, the Fit (nice lil car. if you have small feet) had an aux jack, as did the other Honda models. I think manufacturers these days are realizing that options like these are really attractive with everyone and their lawyer having an ipod