The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > Specialty Forums > Stang's Bitch Pit
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang
Default Whats The Big Deal?

About Jessica Lynch? Yes I know she survived the horrible capture and the things that happened to her and Im glad she survived and is able to tell us about it. But its all I see when I turn on the TV. What about all the others that gave their lives and died? Isnt it part of the "job" you do when you sign up and lay your life down in a war? There was a guy from our state that was in the same squad as her and his mother said he died helping her and the others. He hasnt been recognized at all except one time when they interviewed his mother on the local news.

Just wondering why she is so special than anyone else out there. There are more out there giving their lives and should be recognized also.

We where at the store last weekend with our friend that is in the Army and when he saw her picture on every magazine in the newstand he got mad. Never asked him why but Im sure its along the same lines as I.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
Maz
Forum wh0re

true, the other should get as much respect as her
Old 11-07-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
Jode
Whoopiteedoo!

I think it's strange too. I'm sure her family got money for selling the story so it seems like everything is about money these days.
You are right though, there are too many other remarkable stories that happen everyday, why should she get to "steal the spotlight" so to speak.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
Maz
Forum wh0re

you can buy anything with money these days
Old 11-07-2003, 02:25 PM   #5
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

They're pissed because there are other people involved with the fighting and dying. They called her a hero... she's not one in my book. She's a survivor. Nothing more.

I'm not too happy about it. Nowhere is there a movie about the people that died, nor is there a movie that honors those dead.
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 03:42 PM   #6
Cerberus
One bad mofo'n Hound

She is so special because, She is a FEMALE, POW.

that's it. It's a female face on War. Thats it. To reporters Men fighting and dying for their country is considered "normal, unnewsworthy" But a Female fighting, dying, being captured and raped, etc.. for our country is abnormal and therefore newsworthy, remember the news media is also a business and they report most on the things that sell. Not neccessarily what matters. Although, the Newmedia is not the only thing that is all about money so don't be too quick to judge them, you yourself may be "all about money, these days"
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:41 PM   #7
Stang
Team Captain

Yeah I need money to survive .

Asha and Jester say it right on. She is a female POW and she survived but still I rather hear about the other battles and the people that survived close calls/died.

She is just a survivor. Maybe send her on the show?
Old 11-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #8
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

Jester's latter part of the statement is more what's true... wether or not she was female just adds to it... what REALLY is going on is that the media needs to sell. And people love having specific heroes to call upon when it comes to war and the media... so with someone idolized this way, they can put out all of this garbage about her and BOOM sell a lotta magazines, talk shows increase their ratings, news channels get more viewers, bam... and it filters down... more people buying magazines and watching news see more commercials and advertising... it's how the whole crooked system works. If you heard about every individual who suffered people would get bored of it and turn a deaf ear to it. You may say "Well that's what I'm doing about Jessica now" but that's not really true, you're talking about her.. they've sold her to you. As they say "There is no such thing as BAD publicity."

Fuel that corporate machine, it loves the fire. As far as I'm concerned, I've never heard about this girl until just now reading this post... I don't watch tv or pay attention to newspapers or magazines... call me jaded, call me naive... but at least I don't get lead around by media. There are just too many things in this world I do not need to know about, and I"m sorry if it offends, but war is not something I need to know about. Yes, it affects me... but really am I going to do anything about it whether or not I know about people like Jessica Lynch?

Blargo... now I've gone and ranted... that's rare for me. I"m a cheery poster : D

She's named after Judas... Not a CARROT

Click here to view my artwork
KitZune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:54 AM   #9
Variable
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Variable

She said in an interview that she took cover underneath a vehicle during the attack and didn't fire her weapon.

She got a Bronze Star.

I'm not going to say anymore. I should give you all a transcript of the conversations the guys in my unit have had on this topic. Interesting reads...

The world will not end in a blinding flash of light or virulent pestilence. It will end with me choking the life out of it with my bare hands.
Variable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:34 AM   #10
Stang
Team Captain

That would be interesting to see what the guys in the army think of all this.

They didnt sell me on her at all Kitz. Im annoyed at all the commercials about her interviews and movie. Its all you see when you turn on the tv lately. I just turn the channel and watch the Simpsons .
Old 11-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #11
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

Jester's in the Army...

Vari's in the Marines.

My friend in the Navy is even sickened by the whole deal. And they were talking about giving him a medal for breaking his leg in five places while on duty! He laughed at that because they were serious! And because he was playing ultimate frisbee.

XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:03 PM   #12
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

My point is that they have you talking about her on a forum... You have been sold her image whether you chose to or not. Just like through word of mouth, they just sold her to me aswell... It's a disgusting world we live in, because those up top think they have to mediate control by leading us with massive carrots on fishing hooks infront of our faces. Gotta watch out for that barb.

She's named after Judas... Not a CARROT

Click here to view my artwork
KitZune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #13
Stang
Team Captain

Yeah they sold me on how they just hand out medals like they are candy and not like they use to.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:07 PM   #14
Ghryphen
THZ Founder

Can you hear me now? Good.
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:47 AM   #15
Maz
Forum wh0re

I agree with Jesetr and Veri