The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > Specialty Forums > Stang's Bitch Pit
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia
Default Why I hate Pride.

It's Pride week in Toronto... the time that we, an invisible minority, get thrust into public conciousness by the media who only reports on the extreme/abnormal parts of our subculture who only crawl out from under their rocks this time of year (or 'drag' dreadful clothing out of their closets to show off in the big parade on Sunday).

My gradual disdain for Pride has grown every year since I came out (this is year 4). At first, it was a novelty... like having everything you thought you were only daydreaming about appear before you in reality, from the drop-dead gorgeous to the god-awful fugly. I marched in the parade my first year, with the members of my church who really helped me feel safe to identify with the Gay community. I saw people that I knew from High School in the crowds as I walked by. I wasn't afraid, and some waved at me. It was good. Ever since then, however, as my confidence with myself and who I am has risen, I'm beginning to really despise the image the parade sends about me, about my preferences, and about what the world at large views, or wants to view, us as.

No, we are not a bunch of cross-dressing faggots (all the time). No, we do not wear leather chaps and thongs (all the time). No, we are not all muscle marys (some may wish they were). No, we are not all club-circuit twinks (some may wish we were). The parade (and Pride in general) really does provide a huge cross-section of the Gay community... and yet, it's the *only* time the media/people are insterested in us. Unless it's about Same-Sex marriage... which I will not discuss.

I'm sick of it, because I consider myself a fairly 'normal' person. I don't have anything about me that absolutely fags me out. I carry a stylish bag that goes well with the clothes I choose to wear. I like pink accessories, but usually only in connection with Hello Kitty (my wallet and changepurse are both Hello Kitty). I don't have excessive limp wrist or a lisp. I don't discuss fashion all day and when my next manicure/pedicure is. I'm tired.... Pride really is all about the stereotypes, and ramming them down consumer whores' throats. "Oh, those hot Gay guys from the home design shows are wearing this... lets go buy blahblah..."

I am proud to be who I am, every day of every month of every year. I don't need a ******* special day to say this, and I don't appreciate the attention people give me, or the expectations people have of me after being exposed to this. The whole thing gives people a false impression that because they've *seen* the extremes, they know what my lifestyle is all about; They know exactly where I'm coming from by watching the drag queens throw candy at the crowds, or the shirtless hunks spray the crowd down with supersoakers. All I have to say to you (if you feel this way) is **** you. Get real. You wanna know where I'm coming from? Talk to me. No one is the same as his neighbour, and that goes for every person, gay straight bi lesbo trans celibate.

The only thing I have to say in defense of Pride is that the people who worked really hard to make the public so concious and, I hesitate to say, "accepting" deserve a chance to be recognized on a large level for the hard work they've put in. I *do not* agree with what Pride has turned into. I don't think it's necessary in this day and age, and only serves to reinforce all of the negative opinions people have of us "sexual deviants"

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote