The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > General > Main Forum
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
juxtaposedjoker

Send a message via AIM to juxtaposedjoker Send a message via MSN to juxtaposedjoker Send a message via Yahoo to juxtaposedjoker
Default Fable anyone?

Fable will be availble to buy in one hour for me. Anyone else here going to play? If so, would you like someone to play with?
juxtaposedjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
insaneferret
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to insaneferret

i'm probably gonna wait for when it comes out on PC, or the xbox goes down to $100

but i'll probably be so addicted to World of Warcraft by then i wont care
Old 09-14-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

I've heard about the game but haven't really looked into it. Got too many other games keeping me occupied right now .

Let us know how it is though, never know might suck us into playin it .
Old 09-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
juxtaposedjoker

Send a message via AIM to juxtaposedjoker Send a message via MSN to juxtaposedjoker Send a message via Yahoo to juxtaposedjoker

It's amazing. Kindof like morrowind but ten thousand times better. Though, I'm disapointed. When I knew that it would connect online I figured I'd be playing with others at the same time...but it isn't that way at all. I can sign in to xbox so that my friends can see me but I do not think I'm able to invite them to play fable. meh...

so I'm disapointed because of that...

But everything else is amazing. I think its better than any final fantasy I've played actually. The fighting is real time--I love actually kicking ass. So thats what did it for me.

WOW omg...I want it...hehe...
Old 09-16-2004, 04:03 AM   #5
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

Don't compare it to Final Fantasy

It is a different style of game altogether.
Turn Based RPGs are different from Action RPGs. and it's all about preferance. Fable does look good, but it lost my interest purely on being xbox exclusive.

She's named after Judas... Not a CARROT

Click here to view my artwork
KitZune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
yak
Threadkiller

Send a message via MSN to yak Send a message via Yahoo to yak

listen to him/her he/she 's got a point

One can smile, and smile, and still be a villian.-William Shakespeare

Are you trying to tell me that the man who tried to put a rubber fist in my anus was a uhh.. homosexual?-Borat
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
juxtaposedjoker

I compare all the RPGs together. It's just how I work. I've only played FF 7,8,9. Compared to them I think Fable is better.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #8
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

You can't really put all RPGs in the same bucket anymore. Used to be that RPG meant something like Wizardry, Ultima, Bard's Tale or SSI's gold box games. Then they came up with things like Thief, System Shock and Deus Ex that really erased the boundary between FPS and RPG. Note that those are all Looking Glass Studios derivatives... Hmm.. And in case you bring up Ultima Underworld, the game that finally pulled me away from my trusty Amiga, that's Looking Glass, too!

Now we have other games that also blur the lines, but in different ways. Studios are still experimenting (good), though not as much (bad). Genre-blending is cool, but risky, and the suits with money who make decisions don't like risk.

Then you have Molyneaux, who's always made weird stuff and to heck with the suits. Populous practically defined the god-game. Black & White, 'nuff said. I don't suppose any of you ever heard of Magic Carpet? That really rocked!
Now he puts out Fable. He's a little limited in the XBox format, but I'm quite interested to see/hear what it's like. I've not played close attention to the previews because I don't have an XBox, but still.

Let us know.

Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained.
-The Tao of Programming
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
STUWEY
Forum Regular

I played Magic Carpet, i even remember seeing one of the coolest things was the ability to play in a view that kinda looked like a magic eye poster.

I have read alot about Fable though and it looks sweet

Last edited by STUWEY; 09-16-2004 at 10:07 PM.
STUWEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:51 AM   #10
juxtaposedjoker

Um...let's put it this way....I'm not into gamming enough to be able to go that in depth genre blending thing. I look at how the game draws you in and for me, a sense of fantasitic realism will make or break the game. Is the story sound? Dialoge believible? etc etc. If the game is emercing and can make me think about it 24/7 then it's a good game. I'm not asking anyone to subscribe to my style of game 'reviewing' but this is how I do it, take it or leave it.

Fable in this case is a GREAT game. I think the storyline is sound. It isn't the most orgional but how they do it is different. The amount of choises that you can make gives it a stronger sense of realism then in final fantasy. In this respect it is more like Morrowind but waaay more fun.

I like how my chars appearence changes, I like the fact he can make ppl love him even marry him (boy or girl yes your char can be gay! that's a first) and your char can have sex! SEX. i think that's hilariously great lol. Though my char is 47, good, and married to a male school teacher and still a virgin. I haven't figured out how to get laid yet but I will!

You can also buy houses and rent them or just live in them...um...you can also trade between towns to make gold. I just like that. I also love the graphics. I think they are great.

meh its before 8 am...i need to go do stuff that doesn't require thought...like...go to class...
Old 09-17-2004, 09:09 AM   #11
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

I'm a videogame designer... it's what I do in my spare time. So my view on genres is very solid. Blur all you want, but don't tell OTHER people "It's better than final fantasy." When it's not the same thing. That's like saying "Apples are better than oranges, because they are sweet." because someone else might say "Oranges are better than apples, because they are sour."

It only makes me mad because one of my games gets compared to Resident Evil a lot... and that PISSES ME OFF... It's nothing like resident evil... okay so it's a horror game... but I think that's as far as the comparison goes. Fable is an RPG... Final Fantasy is an RPG.... but they are in no way alike. as I said, Fable looks good... but if I were to play it, I would not think of it as the same thing as Final Fantasy.. because Final Fantasy is a turn-based RPG. Some people prefer that style of game... it's obvious that you don't. You like the gauntlet/Champions of Norath style of RPG... I like the Final Fantasy / Dragon Warrior style of gameplay. The action fighting is fine... but it's meant for a different kinda game for me.. I like the precision menus in FF style of game where you chose what you're doing every round.

Anyways, You pushed a kitzune button. And you... Yak... you call me "SHE" and "HER" not "he/she" and "him/her" or I smack you ten ways to sunday! With a very large trout!!!

She's named after Judas... Not a CARROT

Click here to view my artwork
KitZune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:30 PM   #12
STUWEY
Forum Regular

on the same note the next Elder Scrolls game has been announced for sometime around winter 2005
STUWEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #13
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

I was going to say something about you calling Kitz a "him/her" but I thought I'd let Kitz whip you into shape .
Old 09-17-2004, 10:46 PM   #14
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

It's more entertaining for Kitz to cover her own back.

As for RPGs. There are different flavors. One of my faves is Neverwinter Nights. Good stuff, fun to run around naked, and you can get together with friends for your own module fun!

My only favorite console RPG was ChronoTrigger (SNES, probably one of the best games ever). I played others: Final fantasy II, III; and... actually... I think that's it for console RPGs.

You gotta realize that what made ChronoTrigger so good for me was the story that just pulled me in and held me there. I remember sticking with that game all through the night many times. But I have to admit that the story is only a part of it. Even though I actually got emotional and attached, shocked, afraid, and happy for my characters, it was the EXECUTION that did the trick. They had a good story, but the way it was told was what kept me going. Few games have done that for me. Homeworld was one of those games.

A good story may be good to sit down and read, but if you put it into an RPG and take turns, it may not turn out well. Or it may be the best thing. If you put it into a non-stop-action kind of telling, then it may be even better.

There are games where I sometimes get the feeling that NPCs are just thrown in to make the story work. There would be no other logical reason for them... to the point that it's obvious that the story was lacking, or how it was being told was lacking. Thus the creators tossing in an NPC.
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:27 AM   #15
juxtaposedjoker

Hmm. But if you ask someone what their fave. fruit is then you may even get kiwi and they may compare the kiwi to the watermelon because these are the two fruits that they are the most familure with.

Final fantasy 7,8,9 and Fable are the games that I like and play the most. The genre doesn't make the game. I don't agree with that and I don't think that you can just compare inside the genres on what makes a game great when 'great' is subjective. I can compare final fantasy to frogger if I really wanted to because this is my opinion, my bias, my likes and dislikes. I was asked to share what I liked then told not to? Conflicting eh? Ask someone their opinion and you may get anything so you don't like the cross genre thing--fine doesn't mean I can't do it. 'Cause really, do you confine your fave. game EVER by genre? I don't. I just play.

And don't tell me what I like and don't like. I LOVE turn based rpgs and I love final fantasy. I mostly play turn based rpgs actually so that's why I was so blown away from Fable. It made me love something that wasn't turn based. I actually enjoyed the real time fighting when normally I prefer the turn based. It's just how they did the real time fighting in Fable that I enjoyed more than the other.

Sorry if my tone is rough its just rather strange when someone asks me to talk about the game and then I'm told that I'm only allowed to talk about it in a certain way. meh. I guess one of my buttons got pushed cuz to me this is the same thing as those people who write letters and complain and get a great show canceled instead of just changing the channel. Don't like how I compare or rate games? Then skim or skip.