The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > Specialty Forums > Artists Niche
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Send a message via ICQ to Raiyven Send a message via MSN to Raiyven
Default Christmas is $%#@in' Metal

So, last night, my fiancee and I went to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra perform here in Toronto...

(I posted a video of someone making a TSO light show out of their house

...I have to say, it is by -far- the best live show I've ever seen. I haven't seen many, I'll admit, but TSO knows how to put on an incredible show. If any of you are familiar with them, they primarily do combined orchestral/metal versions of popular Christmas songs, and their latest album is the same cover of some of Beethoven's more recognized pieces as well. I've heard them many times before, but to see these people perform is something else altogether.

Atmosphere. The first half of the show was, essentially, a story being told in music. Their lead announcer, with a voice which reminded me of both James Earl Jones and maybe Duke Ellington, told a Christmas story of how he sat in a bar, on Christmas Eve, and listened to a man tell a story about how an angel went around the world listening to music and prayers.

I don't want to give you all the impression that this was a heavily religiously-focused performance, but it -is- a Christmas show. Anywho...

...each part of his story was punctuated by a different piece of music, telling each small corpus of the collection of little tales from around the world. The dominant message wasn't to push Christianity itself... but rather, and more powerfully than the light show could reflect, the message of peace. Peace and love for humanity... as the song goes, 'every man is your brother, and every child is ours'. The show was about togetherness, and peace. And metal.

This show reminded me more of a KISS concert. In full accompaniment to the music was an AMAZING light show. We were in the ACC (Air Canada Centre, for you non-ontario people ;D ) which is an arena venue with two tiers. We were sitting up in the nosebleeds, but still had a great view, and looking down on the light show was a little bit of a downer, but no less impressive. Then there were the pyrotechnics. At a christmas concert

After the intermission, their lead guitar came out and talked at us a bit (in a Leafs jersey, no less. Got to appease the crowd), and then launched into some metal jazz and some classic 70's metal (can i remember what they played? hell no.), topped off by a preview from their forthcoming album, a thrash version of Carl Orff's 'O Fortuna'. -that- was awesome. Oh, and their version of 'Flight of the Bumblebee', done to a strobe light arrangement that should have caused no fewer than a thousand seizures, and more lasers than a Battlestar Galactica convention.

It's something that I think almost anyone would enjoy... show was about two hours, and y'know what else, these people can -play-.

The three-minute drum solo, which was for no reason but just because, was farkin insane.

They have a wider US concert circulation than they do here, so if you can see them, DO SO, seriously, or... else

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Last edited by Raiyven; 12-14-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Raiyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
Ghryphen
THZ Founder

Sounds cool I have always liked TSO
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
Cerberus
One bad mofo'n Hound

SHuttle Traveled nearly 18 times the speed of light? WTH?
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

lol
i found that while i was poking around yesterday. i just -had- to.... c'mon, it's CNN, what isnt there to laugh at

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Variable
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Variable

That was after the Columbia disaster when it broke up in the upper atmosphere. Basically no one knew what was going on and I suppose they hired a physicist on crack to work up a reason why it could have happened, and that was his answer.

The world will not end in a blinding flash of light or virulent pestilence. It will end with me choking the life out of it with my bare hands.
Variable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

yeah, i figured whoever was making the news ticker at the time had suffered from the usual game of telephone, and probably mistook 'speed of light' for 'speed of sound', because the other one seems a little bit more believable

either that, or what we have here is a government conspiracy to cover up the secret development of the warp drive.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

ROFL. Ya, they meant sound. The "average" person knows enough science to think that scientists <> magicians, but not much more... And journalists, and their teletype people, are just as average as everyone else.

Seriously, I've seen some stupid "man on the street" science quizzes that just make me want to cry.

Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained.
-The Tao of Programming
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote