The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > General > Main Forum
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2002, 11:15 AM   #1
Walks on Clouds
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Walks on Clouds
Default LoTR

I suppose this is old news to all of you, but I saw the Extended Version, Director's Cut, Special Collector's Edition, What's-It: Lord of the Rings just yesterday, and I was rendered dumb with amazement.

Why on (Middle-?)Earth did they cut all those incredible scenes from the theatre edition? They must have opted for a Minimum Story - Maximum Meaningless Cerebrally Incapacitating Violence approach...

I am most agitated over the removal of the Lothlórien part, especially the Strewing-Around-of-Marvellous-Gifts scene, although I think the new introduction deserved to be in the film as well.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:30 AM   #2
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

Yeah, I was going to pick that baby up this weekend... I'm looking forward to checking it out in all its glory.

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:53 AM   #3
Walks on Clouds
Forum Regular

Do it. Enjoy it. I know I did.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:12 PM   #4
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

Yep me too, just been waiting to make it down to Oregon so I can pick up some other things with it .

They probably would have liked to put all that other stuff in but Im sure they didnt want the movie patrions in the theatre any longer. I dont know if I would of stayed in a theatre much longer for a movie that long, enough though it was very good . If Im going to watch a movie that long I want to be able to stretch out and be comfortable and pause it when I need too.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:21 PM   #5
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

We need to start a cultural re-revolution... Let's bring back movies with Intermissions so people can pee and grab some more food. I know that I would have wanted to see LOTR all in one go, so I would have been willing to endure a 15 minute intermission in the middle... sure, it means a larger time commitment, but you can guarantee a lot of people will want to come because of the added content

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:07 AM   #6
Walks on Clouds
Forum Regular

Sounds like a great idea to me. And then they could include cute intermission screens, like the one in an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus, with some nice flashing colours and organ music...
Old 11-27-2002, 03:07 AM   #7
Mobius
Forum Regular

Well I doubt theaters would do it, they would have to increase the prices for the extended length movies. Time = Money. The shorter the movie the more you can show it in a day. Longer movies for the same price = less play time in a day. I doubt that intermissions will ever come back. Society as a whole have short attention spans. Plus if they show a shorter version that people love in the theaters then release a DVD with more footage they make a crap load of more money. Or they release the normal DVD that everyone buys, then announce that there releasing one that has additional footage. BASTAGES!! I would have waited and bought the extended version. Now they get my money X2. But I don't mind since they didn't cheese out and made a kick ass series that does justice to the books.

Last edited by Mobius; 11-27-2002 at 03:32 AM.
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:14 AM   #8
Ghryphen
THZ Founder

They do make nearly all the money on concessions though and intermission would add to that profit I would think. It probably won't be long before there are comercials right in the middle of the movie.
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:36 PM   #9
Walks on Clouds
Forum Regular

I've actually seen a film without commercials in a theatre. It was Star Wars Episode 2. I wonder if they had a special deal with the theatre, or something...
Old 12-02-2002, 09:59 AM   #10
XRogue
Forum wh0re

Personally, I'd prefer intermissions, in fact there are places where they still do this. I mean face it, I've got kids, one of 'em ALWAYS wants to get up and visit the restroom.

Incidentally, I woulda stayed in the theater for the longer version if they had had it there, intermission or not. I intentionally dehydrated myself so I wouldn't have to get up for a restroom break, even for the shorter 3 hour release. I waited 18 YEARS (yes, you heard right) for these films to be made. No way was I moving, even if it meant a catheter. I can't afford to buy the long one just now, but I have dropped hints to certain parties who complain I'm hard to shop for......
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote