The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > Specialty Forums > Stang's Bitch Pit
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2003, 08:05 AM   #1
Ghryphen
THZ Founder

Angry Holy Cow

Went to see Two Towers and found that the movie prices have gone up since the last movie we saw November. They have gone from $7.50 to $8.25. Not only that the commercials at the beginning have gotten even longer.

Aren't the commercials there to keep the price of the ticket down?

I like to get good seats so I am will be there for the commercials, at least until everyone else starts showing up to the movie 30 minutes after the start so that they don't have to sit through all that

If they upgraded the theaters to better seating and sound, or digital video it wouldn't be so bad. But now you are paying more for the exact same thing you had before and a downgraded movie experience due to commercials. If anything it should be worth less to see a movie the less enjoyable it is.

I need to make more money so I can buy a huge screen TV and not have to go out.

I wanted to see LOTR so bad but I was dragging my feet because I am really starting to dread the movie theater, it was like a battle of good vs evil; good won the last battle, but evil just keep gettin stronger.
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #2
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

Yeah I cant believe how rediculous it is getting to go see a movie.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:46 PM   #3
Cerberus
One bad mofo'n Hound

good movie tho
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:05 AM   #4
KitZune
Transgendered

Send a message via ICQ to KitZune Send a message via AIM to KitZune Send a message via MSN to KitZune

This complaint is just like flying in an airplane... people ALWAYS complain about it... but they don't stop to think about the benefit their getting...

You're FLYING forget about how uncomfortable it is and how bad the movie is and how bad the food is...

Same goes with movies.
You get to see a movie before it is released on video on a larger screen with an amazing sound system.
Stop complaining. Either go and see movies, or don't.

And yes, Commercials DO make tickets less expensive... but the movie-going crowd is getting smaller.

She's named after Judas... Not a CARROT

Click here to view my artwork
KitZune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:46 AM   #5
XRogue
Forum wh0re

Don't they have matinees where you live Gryph? That is usually cheaper............
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

They do have matinees.

There have been many movie theaters that have closed in this area as well. There was one recently near where Stang and BJ live that closed its doors for good.

I don't go to the movies as often as I used to. The food is expensive, the movie ticket prices keep going up, and there just aren't as many good movies anymore (it seems).

Though I would bet some serious cash that if a local movie place slashed their prices (to say... 5 dollars a ticket... that's almost half), then a mad rush would ensue to that movie theater. But they do keep raising prices and driving customers away. It's a downward spiral.
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:26 AM   #7
Cerberus
One bad mofo'n Hound

woops I should have bought all four tickets. I got a military discount 10.50 for two.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #8
Ghryphen
THZ Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by KitZune
And yes, Commercials DO make tickets less expensive... but the movie-going crowd is getting smaller.
And yes, Commercials DO make tickets less expensive... but the movie-going crowd is getting smaller.... And yes, Commercials DO make tickets less expensive... but the movie-going crowd is getting smaller.... kind of a vicious circle that will end up with commercials being shown to an empty theater.

Quote:
Originally posted by KitZune
Same goes with movies.
You get to see a movie before it is released on video on a larger screen with an amazing sound system.
The more expesive it gets the cheaper getting that stuff for your own home looks, and the wait between movie and dvd will seem closer.... which will make the movie-going crowd get smaller and Commercials DO make tickets less expensive .... the movie-going crowd is getting smaller.

Theaters are killing themselves imho, its is one of the few things that gets more expensive and reduces quality. Airplane tickets at least go down the more they cram into a plane and the worse the food gets.
Ghryphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #9
Spinning Hat
Toupee Cover

Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat

Uhh- Movie Crowds Are NOT getting smaller. I saw on E! last nite that 2002 was a record year for movie sales, at 9 BILLION dollars.

Never, Never, Never Quit -Winston Churchill
Spinning Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:17 PM   #10
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

Its cuz of the commericials, bad sound, rude people, prices on food and tickets is why the crowd is getting smaller. If Im going to pay more I want improvements done.

I noticed when they did the Digital Surround sound thingy not the THX one that it sounded bad, I said to everyone "Mine sounds better than that" and everyone agreed.

If prices are going to continue to go up improve the theatres so that crowd doesnt go down.

Yes it was worth the money to see The Two Towers.

Yeah the General Cinemas closed their doors around here after the New Year. I think some other theatres are looking at the space so hopefully they will remodel cuz they are old theatres. Would love to get some staduim seating , we went to the ones in Tacoma and loved them.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:03 AM   #11
Ambush_Bug
Forum Regular

We're getting a stadium seat theatre in C'dale soon, so I hear. After the horrible experience I had watching TTT the first time, I can't wait. Frickin' Andre The Giant and his brother in front me... GAH.
Ambush_Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:02 AM   #12
Spinning Hat
Toupee Cover

Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat

That was YOU behind me?!?!

j/k I haven't seen it yet.

Never, Never, Never Quit -Winston Churchill
Spinning Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:19 AM   #13
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

Quote:
Uhh- Movie Crowds Are NOT getting smaller. I saw on E! last nite that 2002 was a record year for movie sales, at 9 BILLION dollars.
Um, with the prices of tickets inflating, how does this translate into headcount? I really wish they would measure a movie by headcount than by box office gross. Makes no sense to me. Well, it does from an accounting standpoint, but not from a popularity one. Makes it nearly impossible to measure something like the original "Star Wars" or "ET" against something recent like FotR.

Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained.
-The Tao of Programming
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:26 AM   #14
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

Stang: have you guys been to the one in Auburn at the Supermall?

It's got good seating. I saw Austin Powers there, and it was a good view. Problem was the sound. East Valley has better sound, IMO (the one by IKEA, near where my parents live).

But the best I think is at Pacific Place near Westlake. The problem is that the tickets are like 10 bucks.

That's reserved for special occasions.

Also, I think that the movies got a record year cause everything is so damned expensive. If I had a hotdog stand and charged customers 10 bucks, and I had 100 customers, that's 1000 dollars. But if I charged 20 bucks and had 75 customers, I'd make more money (1500). It's good in short term, but bad in the long run. They're driving themselves out of business.

At least the movie theaters don't have CEO's that write themselves 300 million dollar bonus paychecks (on top of their 100 million dollar salaries), then lay off a huge number of their workforce.
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:06 PM   #15
Ambush_Bug
Forum Regular

Oooooh, don't even get me started on that vile despicable behavior, Asha. It's one of the few things that makes me want to forget all restraint and visit righteous fury on someone's head without warning.

Dammit... now I'm started.

The screwed up thing is that where I'm at, if I could make, say, 60K a year while single, I'd be living like a king. But that's because my 'kingly standards' include only a nice Buick, a house in good repair, enough computer hardware to support my hobbies, plus all the regular expenses. The rest would be pitched into savings.

Then I see these CEO's pulling in six or seven figures, and it just boggles my mind. I mean, if I pulled in a million a year... just a million a year, I'm certain I could live anywhere I damn well pleased, and comfortably, too, all while socking most of it away.

I guess I just don't understand avarice and the need to live the 'high' lifestayle. It just makes me boggle, really.
Ambush_Bug is offline   Reply With Quote