The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > Specialty Forums > Stang's Bitch Pit
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2002, 01:54 AM   #1
Mobius
Forum Regular

Default Why are games being made for console only?

I was really looking forward to Red Faction 2. From what I can find out it's for PS2 only. F'ing bastards! I hate the control system for console. I could barely play Halo on my friends Xbox. Another game I was really looking forward to on PC.

It makes me want to go get a wood bat, drive a few nails thru it, go look for some designers and give em some lovin.

It wouldn't be to bad if the console industry would make an keyboard and mouse addon. Then I might actually consider buying one.

Oh well I'm gonna chew on my keyboard some more about Red Faction.
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:48 AM   #2
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

I'm sorry, Mob... The problem designers are running up against with putting games out for console *and* PC is that the game will rarely look the same. Because PC's come in all different shapes and sizes, they usually want to scrape system reqs down as much as they can... It just may be that in this case, when they went to try to develop it for PC, it wasn't turning out they way they envisioned it, and stopped development...

That's my guess... It could also be that console sales are crazy right now, and it's generally easier to market a console game than a PC game (provided the game is good...)

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:54 AM   #3
Spinning Hat
Toupee Cover

Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat

I dunno about scraping system reqs down, The Xbox has a 700Mhz CPU and 128Mb RAM. That's not an ungodly system req. Then, they can have the Xbox graphics, but people with better systems can crank the graphics waaay up, and it will look very pretty indeed. I was disappointed with FF VIII for PC, as it was a PS1 game run through an emulator basically, when it could have looked so much better. PC games are not the best sellers tho historically, and that is a huge factor wether or not the game is ported to other platforms. So, sometimes, we miss out.

Never, Never, Never Quit -Winston Churchill
Spinning Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:10 AM   #4
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

I think that watching T2 should answer the question. During the beta, people couldn't run the game on their systems. Most of them had Voodoo cards. That's the problem with PC's. You have to design for a bunch of different systems, otherwise you get a bad rep. Personally, I didn't have any problems with the initial beta install... it was like the third patch that it crapped out.

With a console, you get your specs and go with them. It's easy. You can spend WAY more time working on content, story, etc.
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:43 AM   #5
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

I agree with Asha they dont have to worry about a different variety of systems on consoles they know what they are dealing with and constentrate on the game itself more. Im not saying PC games dont pay attention to story lines or content cuz there are some great games that do that but after they do all that they have to figure on what types of systems can run it smoothly without the consumer having to go spend more money.

I was waiting for Halo to come out on PC too, like many others, and thought man this is going to be hard to do without a keyboard. But after a bit of playing it I got use to the controller and loved it! It is nicer playing with a keyboard but the controller is nice when you get use to it. Its your brain that has to get use to using a controller over a keyboard, just an adjustment .
Old 11-20-2002, 11:15 AM   #6
Mobius
Forum Regular

Well once the people of planet Zorgath anex earth and make me supreme ruler I'm gonna take a bat to every console out there.

In Halo I never got past the last jeep obstical course. The one where the ship is about to explode and you have like 5 min to get out. Spent about 2 hours before I almost sucumb to the urge to stomp the control pad in to the condo below me.

There's 2 things I utterly hate and despise. One is needles, the other is the crappy control pads consoles use.
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:17 PM   #7
Stang
Team Captain

I spent about that much time doing that last level too! But I wasnt going to let it bring me down !!!

I thought I was going to hate that XBOX control cuz it is a little different from the regular ones out there but after using it after a while I really like it. Its comfortable and the buttons are easy to reach for the most part. Dont try "The Thing" that game uses every button on that controller .

On a little side note about the console games though, dont know if you are able to hack like the PS2 or the Gamecube (dont know if the gamecube is internet ready) but XBOX has taken a step and made it so all those fools that have modified their XBOX's will not be able to use it on XBOX Live, WOOHOO!!! Cheaters are gettin what has been coming to them .
Old 11-20-2002, 12:25 PM   #8
Spinning Hat
Toupee Cover

Send a message via ICQ to Spinning Hat Send a message via AIM to Spinning Hat Send a message via MSN to Spinning Hat Send a message via Yahoo to Spinning Hat

Most people have no need to modufy their PS2's, unless they want to play Japanese games.Why are people modding their Xbox's?

Old 11-20-2002, 12:42 PM   #9
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

DOH!

Double post!
Old 11-20-2002, 12:42 PM   #10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

To put Linux on them.

Heh.

Stupid geeks.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:52 PM   #11
Stang
Team Captain

I think some are doing it for the Japenese versions and the others are upgrading the chips and Harddrives. I guess they can put a switch on the box but who knows if that will work.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:50 AM   #12
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

Microsoft is just bitter that they can't have supreme control over everything. Look at Sony... They just made sure that everyone knew their warranty was void as soon as they modded their machine. And, generally speaking, modding it weakens the system. I know my old PSX literally fell apart after it got modded, and that was with external chips. It was great... I had to stick pennies into the video port into to get the CD to skip past the Sony screen....Don't even ask why, I have no idea... I was young, and pissed off that my library of 200 burned games was going to waste. (That's the other reason why people mod their systems... not all new games are actually DVD roms, or take full advantage of the capacity of them) However, as soon as I got my PS2, I made a promise to myself that I would keep it clean, and even follow all the little ideosyncratic instructions they leave you to "maintain the performance of your Playstation2(c) console"... It has been a couple of months since I've vaccuumed it, however... hmm.....

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:11 AM   #13
Spinning Hat
Toupee Cover

Vacuuming the PS2? I never heard of that.....

Old 11-21-2002, 07:12 AM   #14
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

It makes sense.

And BJ looks like a kid!

Stang's robbing the cradle!!

WOOHOO!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 07:33 AM   #15