The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > General > Main Forum
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
Variable
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Variable
Default Anyone interested in or already playing Jumpgate?

I bought this when it first came out and lost interest after a few months, partly because I think I chose the wrong carreer path and primarily because I couldn't find a good group of people to play with. Now I've had my interest piqued again and I was wondering if anyone was up to bringing a THZ presence into the game.

As far as info goes, it's a MMORPG but set to a Wing Commander/Privateer/Tachyon:The Fringe type of gameplay. You start as any of 3 races and run missions to upgrade your ship/gear and get more status. You can form squadrons and it has neat features like Wingman or Mentor that allow you to set people up to train/work with and share experience with.

Anyone game? It's pay to play for 10$ a month but the servers never falter, there isn't a huge player base and it's lots of fun.

The world will not end in a blinding flash of light or virulent pestilence. It will end with me choking the life out of it with my bare hands.
Variable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Stang
Team Captain

Send a message via ICQ to Stang Send a message via AIM to Stang

Website about the game?

Start one up for THZ in the game . See if you get a following going .
Old 08-06-2003, 05:30 PM   #3
Variable
Forum Regular

Figures I'd forget to post the site.

Here's the "Trying to sell you the game" website

http://www.netdevil.com/jumpgate/index.html

And here's the much more useful community site

http://www.jossh.com/terminal_civilian.html

Any and all info can be found at the second site. The first will just give you a basic idea of what the game is like, then forward you to JOSSH.

You can also download the entire client from the registration page. Comes in either a 121 meg file or 51, depending on whether or not you want movies and sound. I've been experiencing trouble registering today; I don't know if this is an issue at my end or if their reg network is down for now. You can still download the game and experience a bit of it offline, like Tribes. The flight physics the game uses are really neat. Might wanna play offline for a while to get used to them.

The world will not end in a blinding flash of light or virulent pestilence. It will end with me choking the life out of it with my bare hands.

Last edited by Variable; 08-06-2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:18 AM   #4
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

I'll give it a look this weekend, hopefully.

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #5
Variable
Forum Regular

Since I'm initiating the THZ presence in this game here's how it'll work:

You need to be level 10 to register a squad. If and when you sign up put only your callsign, no squad tag, as you can only register one name. When I found the squad and everyone joins the squad info will be displayed in the targetting screen.

Also, apparently Variable has either been claimed or you can't use names from old accounts. I have to think of a new handle.

Bastards.

As there are 3 races to choose from, we can either be a one race only squad or bridge all of them, but keep in mind you'll be seperated by vast distances in the beginning and faction status will prevent you from doing things like buying items from other faction stations, etc.

I played as Quantar before and enjoyed it. This time I am choosing Solrain. Their backstory defines them as merchants primarily. "Solrain's culture emphasizes cold, business-like efficiency." That's pretty much my personality in a nutshell. So if you choose Solrain, good to go, if not, we can find each other. Bear in mind something else from the site "A pilot can always choose to fight, trade, mine, or whatever s/he may desire regardless of faction alignment." Read the backstories too. They put a lot of work into them.

____
After edit:
I found a name for myself. In keeping with the greedy merchant persona, I have tracked down:

SUPAI (Inca) God of death. A god of insatiable greed. The Incas sacrificed over a hundred children a year to Supai and still he would not leave them alone.

Works for me.

Last edited by Variable; 08-07-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:21 PM   #6
Stang
Team Captain

GO VARIABLE or should I say SUPAI .

Hope you get a good following going eventually. Ill check out the game but no promises if I play or not.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:21 PM   #7
Variable
Forum Regular

I just played almost nonstop for like 5 hours. The community is still great, everyone is really willing to help newbies. In fact, several INSIST that they be allowed to help you. I got transferred 500,000 credits from one of the top players I ran across with the message "TAKE MY MONEY OR DIE"

So I took it.

I'm doing fairly well and seem to be impressing a fair amount of people, so who knows, maybe THZ will take off without anyone already here having to join up.

I'm level 6...need to get to 10 to found the squad, so expect that tomorrow. Hope a few of you at least sign up for the 10 day trial. It's good stuff.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
Stang
Team Captain

Wow good to see players helping like that.

That would be cool to get a team together and you lead it . Ill look into trying out the 10 day trial sometime this weekend if I have the time .
Old 08-08-2003, 03:51 PM   #9
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

My dad loved that game until he got into Medal of Honor. I think he still plays it every once in a while.
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
Variable
Forum Regular

THZ is founded and I'm representing like a champ. BOOYAH.

My l33t skillz have gone down since I switched from a mouse to a stick but I think I'll be better off in the long run.

So where are all you phonies that said you'd try the game this weekend? Huh? HUH?!

Old 08-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #11
Stang
Team Captain

I had things to do over the weekend .

Cool now we are in a another game. Thanks for startin one up over there Variable thats awesome!
Old 08-15-2003, 12:46 PM   #12
godgunner

hmmm i got that game a while ago and for some reason it didnt weant to work on my comp. it was my first venture into online gaming and it was a total failer for me sadly. i realy liked how it looked