The Hounds of Zeus  

Go Back   The Hounds of Zeus > Specialty Forums > Stang's Bitch Pit
Xbox Leaderboard FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2004, 05:01 AM   #31
juxtaposedjoker

Send a message via AIM to juxtaposedjoker Send a message via MSN to juxtaposedjoker Send a message via Yahoo to juxtaposedjoker

Maths sux...be english majors! Like me! Though, I think I'm going to change my major to history since I can't spell...

I love my math class though! We are learning what sets are *nods* next chapter is the history of numbers! And every chapter in our book is different so after a chapter is done I can forget about it because there are no midterms or finals!

So yeah thats my math class...then lets see...My soc class is easy...in my speech class we won't be studying public speaking oh no! We will be studying how people comunicate! So our first lesson was to pretend we worked for the government and had to pic 3 ppl who got to live after being released from terrorists and then discuss our value judgements...then my Cinema class rocks...we are just watching movies allllllll semester.

Yes, Comunity College is the 13th grade....

Yak, your parties rock...dance dance revolution with heavy metal and strobe lights after shots! RAWR!
juxtaposedjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:56 AM   #32
yak
Threadkiller

Send a message via MSN to yak Send a message via Yahoo to yak

he he he he he he he

One can smile, and smile, and still be a villian.-William Shakespeare

Are you trying to tell me that the man who tried to put a rubber fist in my anus was a uhh.. homosexual?-Borat
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:29 AM   #33
juxtaposedjoker

Send a message via AIM to juxtaposedjoker Send a message via MSN to juxtaposedjoker Send a message via Yahoo to juxtaposedjoker

When I first saw the one with the baby I thought it was suposed to be grusome cuz when the baby fell it looked like it broke it neck lol

um yeah
Old 09-07-2004, 10:18 PM   #34
DooMKitty

Send a message via AIM to DooMKitty Send a message via Yahoo to DooMKitty

::whips yak for no reason at all::
DooMKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:36 AM   #35
Kyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin
So trust me, enjoy school while it lasts... it doesn't get any better.
Everyone says that, and every time I reply that if that's the case I should shoot myself in the mouth RIGHT NOW. Because post-secondary schooling is ****, you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
Anyone can start their own business, at least here in the States, and this is the heartbeat of capitalism.
Except that you can't get a loan to start the business because you're either a minority or too busy paying off your tuition, and then if you do actually get the money to start your business you find you can't compete with the Wal-Mart next door and go belly-up.

Boy am I a cheerful bugger tonight!

Last edited by Kyrie; 09-08-2004 at 12:39 AM.
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:42 PM   #36
juxtaposedjoker

^^exactly.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #37
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to XMEN Ashaman DTM

You can get a loan regardless of whether you're a minority or paying off your tuition. In fact, some minorities are given incentives to take out mortgages, though the incentives are usually worded so that they apply to people that live in such-and-such neighborhood.

I know that you can get any number of small business grants from your state, and sometimes the federal government, if you plan on starting a business. 10,000 dollars? No problem! 100,000 dollars? No problem! You just gotta have a business idea, a plan, and the 20 dollar fee for the application. I know for a fact that the federal government practically hands money out for small business ideas because it wants to encourage small business and competition. My parents went through this same thing with the state of Washington, and at the federal level when they decided to get a small business going. It didn't pan out, but they've got another idea in the works and they'll just get another grant.

If you're talking loans, anyone will be willing to give you a loan. Mortgages are probably the easiest to get, then signature loans, then larger loans based on capital, and so on. My girlfriend's uncle runs a business where he just buys stuff with loans, then sells it as fast as possible. He makes more than enough to pay off the loan, and the rest is put into their business account. Banks are willing to lend them upwards of 100k, for the right reasons. When my girlfriend and I visited her aunt, uncle, and cousins in carlsbad, CA over the 4th of july weekend, her uncle was talking about making a deal to buy five cars at an auction, then selling them to dealers. The thing was, it was going to cost 10,000 per vehicle and he could easily get 15,000; but only if he bought all five at the same time.

It just takes some patience and willingness to do some hard work for a while. You gotta also be on the lookout for ways to make money.

Oh and for loans, I will have no problem getting a mortgage to buy a house, or any other loan for that matter, even though I have 63,252.75 in student loan debt, 9,000 left on a car, 1,000 on a credit card, and 10,000 in a loan. That's over 80,000 in debt, and banks are willing to give me more. If I told them I was native american (which I am), then they'd probably have a special program or incentives to give me a loan.

You gotta read up on the system to work it.
(As soon as I can, I'm getting a house through a foreclosure, with two mortgages to avoid PMI. Then I'll fix it up (I'll make sure to get one that only requires cosmetic stuff), and either hold on to it as a rental property, or sell it when the housing market turns up. But I'm getting a house while it's in foreclosure because I don't want more than a 100k mortgage (total), and I'd like to get one that has some equity in it after the sale goes through since it's extremely hard to find a house for less than 200k out where I'm at.)
XMEN Ashaman DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #38
juxtaposedjoker

*faints*
Old 09-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #39
Kyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMEN Ashaman DTM
You can get a loan regardless of whether you're a minority or paying off your tuition. In fact, some minorities are given incentives to take out mortgages, though the incentives are usually worded so that they apply to people that live in such-and-such neighborhood.

(snip)
Holy Jesus! I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek but okay!

I can't argue with the examples you put forth as they were mostly based on the experiences of people you know. And I was joking around with my post, but seriously, maybe my view of capitalism is a little more cynical than yours. As far as I know, if you have a bad credit rating or if you don't have a steady income it's pretty impossible to get anywhere as far as loans are concerned. Hell, if it were so easy to start your own business, why would anyone work at McJobs?

Ah well... you may well be right, I've just had it hammered into my head many many times that I'm destined for a life on the mean, mean streets.
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:21 AM   #40
yak
Threadkiller

Send a message via MSN to yak Send a message via Yahoo to yak

blargh................................................................................................
........................................................................................................
.................... i am at school and i am bored outta my mind, so i am attempting to breath new life into a dead thread. really, though, i just was too lazy to start up a new thread. i am listening to music, not much else to do 'cept talk to you guys. excuse my random dribble

One can smile, and smile, and still be a villian.-William Shakespeare

Are you trying to tell me that the man who tried to put a rubber fist in my anus was a uhh.. homosexual?-Borat
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #41
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

People work at McJobs because they are one or more of the following:

1) Not careful with money. Hooked on instant gratification consumerism. Want their paycheck every Friday and it's spent by Wednesday if not before.

2) Financially uneducated. They don't know how to get anything better.

3) Afraid to try and fail

4) Cynical - everything's a scam, or the system's against them, or whatever excuse. Often a cover for one of the others.

There's probably others, but this covers the vast majority.

There are plenty of businesses you can start without a loan. You're probably better off starting one without, if possible, because then you lose less if it fails. People don't get rich at their jobs. They get rich by starting something else on the side.

It truly is easy to start your own business here; usually you just have to hang out a figurative shingle and find someone to buy your product or service. Certain businesses need the legal protection of certain structures, but even a class C corporation (like the big boys use) costs maybe $1500 to register, and less if you're half-trying.

What's hard is to succeed. Over half of all new businesses fail in the first five years, and the reasons are quite varied. The root cause is usually ignorance or lack of planning by the owner, though.

Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained.
-The Tao of Programming
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote