Thread: cult films
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #26
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

It's interesting, although hardly new right? All you'd have to do is look at the nationalist movements of the late 19th century and associated music, specifically Peer Gynt (an Ibsen novel immortalized by the music of Edvard Grieg), the Bartered Bride by the Bohemian Bedrich Smetana (who also wrote an extremely nationalistic and evocative series of symphonic poems titled Ma Vlast (my Homeland)), or even the works of the mighty Russian Five (most notable of which are Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and Modest Mussorgsky) which symbolized the national spirit and sounds of Russian nationalism. I think the Soviets were on to something established long before their rise, but I agree... It's a lot easier to remember a message attached to a catchy piece of music than not... just think of all the advertising jingles from your childhood you can still remember

How about Red Sonja or the original Conan the Barbarian? Hell, even UHF (which is one of the few movies I own on DVD, and watch regularly) is probably underground enough to be considered "cult". I never fell into the whole Rocky Horror thing, which is odd coming from a gay man I suppose. I dated someone who was obsessed and kept singing songs from it... when I didn't react, and saw the look of disbelief on his face, I realized the relationship wasn't going anywhere -_-

Anyways, /cloaking shield back on >_>

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead

Last edited by Aluscia; 06-08-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote