Thread: cult films
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #24
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Send a message via ICQ to Raiyven Send a message via MSN to Raiyven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
Nosferatu (1922) was a creepy silent movie about Dracula made in Germany.
How could I forget! I saw this in a class I took way back in college that centered on villains in film and literature, and I think this was one of the first films we watched. And yes sir, it was very creepy! I would say it's a testament to its originality and inventiveness in this early era of cinema that its original creepy feel is still able to evoke a 'wooooooo' in wimps like me

On that note, I actually liked the old Dracula movie as well, though well into the sound era (1931), with Bela Lugosi and (I think a very spirited performance by) Dwight Frye as Renfield.

Also, perhaps one of the most entertaining propaganda films I've ever seen: The Circus, directed by Grigori Alexandrov (1936). One of the best Stalinist musicals of the time, alongside Volga, Volga! and Kuban Cossacks (late 1940s, post-war). The whole idea of the musical genre in this political setting was to create patriotic, uplifting songs that the audience would remember outside of the theatre, enough so that they will internalize and remember *them* much more than political rhetoric. This, to me, is really interesting from a political point of view, especially when viewed in light of the fact that sound cinema altogether during this period (in the Soviet case) was viewed as an impressive method by which a political message could be communicated, as it covered more of the senses than silent film.

Educational rant is over My point though? See them if you can. The songs are kinda catchy. And The Circus paints a really nasty image of the US, so it's interesting to see how Soviet Russia had identified itself against the political 'other' even before the Cold War era.

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Raiyven is offline   Reply With Quote