View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 06:26 AM   #11
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

While I'm not confident the US will ever have gay marriage, Canada is already moving towards legislating it. The Supreme Court has already ruled that the marriage laws are contrary to our Rights and Freedoms, and that definite change is needed. As it stands now, 90% of this nation's population have the freedom to marry whomever they like (The provinces where Supreme Court decisions have been made are allowed to issue marriage licenses to us homos). Unfortunately, unless New England and San Fran secede to Canada, I don't think the huge gay populations there will ever see it. Because for every democrat who's going to get into office promising freedom for them, there will be a republican backlash to "family values". Don't get me wrong, we have our own fanatics... *cough cough Conservative Party cough cough*... They just won't win a majority. I hope. If they did try to restrict the freedoms of any citizen, the backlash against them would be so huge they would lose control of the House, and we'd have a re-election.

I digress. God is definitely in everything around us (that's the Holy Spirit, #3). I do believe in Hell as well. Not going to hell is pretty easy, but that's why I believe in Hell... because it always seems the most important tests in life are the easy to pass ones. It's not a matter of "not sinning". It's more of a matter of recognizing you are sinning and trying to stop it. But that's dogmatic shtuff, so I won't get into a spiel.

I would never make out with a guy in public. *if* we were to kiss, it would be one of those "Goodbye, Honey" kisses at the train station or w/e. I *will* however hold hands. If I'm feeling particularly amorous, I will put my arm around his shoulder. But that's really it. Nothing that isn't perfectly acceptable by Hetero standards (therin lies the rub). I understand that this kind of affection may make people feel uncomfortable, but I really believe it's just a conditioning thing. If it's happening around you, and it's not being inclusive or forced down your throat, I really honestly believe people will shrug it off just like they do with Hetero couples. It's just a matter of seeing it in a more commonplace manner.

Another misnomer is that Gay marriage will bring no children. In this age of surrogate parenting and in vitro fertilization, anything is possible. And, if you're like me (who hates babies and doesn't want anything to do with a kid until they're like 4), there's always adoption/children's aid volunteering. The more I think about it (and mature), the more I realize I would really like to influence a child with what I've learned, and if anything, to break the cycle of horrible parenting through my mother's side of the family. I hope eventually I'll find a partner who feels the same, and then we can decide on how to go about building a family.

Lastly, I firmly believe Homosexuality is God's design for me. You can't understand how it feels to be attracted to the same sex, and actually feel nothing for the opposite. I recognize beauty, but it does nothing for me. I don't get a rise out of Victoria's Secret. And, for a long time, I seriously felt like something was wrong with me. Girls actually "gross me out". So, in a lot of ways, I feel just as squeamish about hetero relationships as you do about homo ones, Rav. I don't think I could change how I feel even if I wanted to, and sometimes I have wanted it badly. But, as we all move towards mutual understanding, this world is looking much more becoming for us.

Just an aside, It's interesting to read how far back homosexuality has existed. Some cultures, like the ancient Japanese, accepted it as nature. Some, like Sparta, nurtured it, seeing only strength and bonding coming out of it. Some, like the Roman Catholic church, enjoyed.... nvm

I leave you with a quote from a gay priest friend of mine. He said: "Isn't it interesting to think about all the people Hitler sent to the camps: Jews, Gypsies, Homos, the Handicapped. Of all the people he sent, why are Homos the only ones still being persecuted, while the world is struggling to protect and nurture the others?"
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote