View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
Ravok99
Forum Regular

Default Rav's Religion Rant

I don't mind debates. I don't mind differences of opinion. I don't mind historical events that could re-define 'canon' or 'truth'. I have never seen an argument on religion won on merits of argument.

I mean, thinking pantheonistically. I am simply a man working out the truths of human behavior. Wisdom, Love, Invention, War, Intellect, Strength - these pantheonistic gods and goddesses deserve their title and respect, for as such we deified them in our minds for a time as we investigated them.

Also, morality is an issue that is good to delve into. Something may be entirely advantageous for me to do personally, but what could that action mean to an entire group? Or what effect does it have on how others would treat me? Is it only a short term gain and a long-term headache?

Religion has its own place, and can be necessary to understand our own selves and what is legal, honorable, justifiable, and kind; or what is terrible, destructive, and painful.

What is Justice? What is Law? Why do we need such institutions? Is Chaos better? Is something Right, and something else Wrong? What forms these definitions into Truth?

Is Religion as Religion the Way? If I completed my Religious Duties, does that mean anything as pertains the present time, present need, or present challenges?

So, when people shut down a religious aspect of life, is it an argument against what is personally undesirable for them to do? After all, there is only one motivation for an individual - he will do what he sees is profitable. If a religion does not profit you, then by all means - follow what you see as gain. If you go against your spirit of what you truly view as best, then you corrupt yourself and stand on weaker ground. If you have learned that what was best is not the best, and you do not accept the new methodology - then again, you corrupt yourself. If you cling to a course that you see is the best course of action - indeed you are working on what the Bible calls your own understanding.

I can totally understand this use of your life.

Working on an understanding based on a theoretical possibility - that is taking a step of faith. I can totally understand the apprehension on such a thing as faith.

I function by words that I take on faith. I put my own decisions into a world of theoretical potentialities. Being judged for doing so can be a good thing and a bad thing; but know for certain that if you do not follow my example by being conformed to a life based on a potential future after death - I do not count such a move against you. You are taking the cold hard fact as a basis for your actions. The fact that we have seen a 100% casualty rate in our own experience in this life is a stark reality.

Therefore, if I cannot judge you for taking what you see as the most realistic route for your own life; please, be a little forgiving if I have buried my nose into a book, and have allowed it to question my own meaning of what is best.

I believe that what is best is best for anyone and everyone all at the same moment. That in such an action, I will not only avoid bringing harm to someone; I can find a way to bring to them aid. I have founded my hopes on the principle that such actions exist. It is always good to do something personally beneficial, and the one who benefits will tout it as such. Why not?

However, in my experience, not every personally beneficial action is of the kind that benefits more than that solitary individual. In this essence, I feel is the compunction for Policy, Law, Rule, and Compassion.

If I continue to toss arguments out the window, and basically ignore their validity, it is because I know that in the end, the arguments will continue to keep their set course until a new understanding is gained that replaces the old knowledge.

So, please, continue debating, continue arguing, ask and seek the Truth; but do not judge me harshly for keeping my perspective - for I gaurd that with my life's blood. If I come to a new understanding that says that what I perceive and act upon is unwise - then in an instant I can thank you for your arguments, and debates, and will immediately alter my course.

In closing, save your base judgements that you reserve for Religionist Fanatics and the like at the doorstep; they do not aid me, and in fact, they polarize me against you and turn a friend into an adversary.