Thread: cult films
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Send a message via ICQ to Raiyven Send a message via MSN to Raiyven

8bit! Good to see you back around the boards, man. Missed our talks about old cars

I think 'cult film' could have any number of meanings... I usually take it to mean that it has a selective, perhaps narrow following, or it's something that few people have heard of/seen/remember that is remembered fondly by those who have and do. Kind of like Firefly did before Serenity (which, while I liked the movie, did make it more than a cult thing)

Also, it could be an out-of-the-way movie as well which, while widely popular at the time, has passed out of memory.

SciFi: Dark City (thanks to SiFi on that one), City of Lost Children, The Last Starfighter (because it's so cheesy it's hilarious), Johnny Mnemonic (Keanu Reeves aside, it was neat), Space: Above and Beyond (tv), Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles (tv), Dune (tv miniseries), Children of Dune (tv miniseries), Battlestar Galactica (the original, dammit!)

Fantasy: Dark Crystal (gotta love henson), Red Sonja (early Schwarzenegger. Scary!), Heavy Metal (the original)

Other: The Witches of Eastwick (okay, not really horror, just funny), Dr Strangelove (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb), Memento (love Guy Pierce), the Count of Monte Cristo (Guy Pierce again), the Brotherhood of the Wolf, and...anything Sam Raimi. Or anything with Tony Ja in it

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Last edited by Raiyven; 03-03-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Raiyven is offline   Reply With Quote