View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
Variable
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Variable
Default Being a civilian week 1...

How you people can continue to exist is beyond me. Everything inside me that is still military is revolting against this new social dynamic I'm being forced into. It wouldn't be so bad if I was in a new place, but no, I had to go right back to where I used to work, with all the familiar faces, but not having any rank on my shoulder. I feel wrong. I got called "Sir" today by the new CO of my old unit. He looked confused when almost an entire platoon of his Marines (whom I'd been chatting with at the time) all burst into laughter simultaneously.

Even worse than that: People aren't afraid of me anymore. You get used to that as a jarhead. It's like "The sky is blue. Grass is green. Soldiers won't look you in the eye. Airmen cross the street to avoid you." And that's comforting. Now it's gone and replaced by this sickly deference.

One of my new supervisors is a former CWO from my old unit. I used to call him "Gunner' because, well, that's what you call them. Now he says "Call me Jake." As if it was that easy!

I have to wear something different. Every day. Cammies and boots every day were nice, with Charlies on Thursdays. Now I have to match button up shirts to slacks. Maybe a tie every few days. I didn't even own this stuff two weeks ago, I had to bankroll an entire wardrobe with my first paycheck just so I could look different the next week. People compliment me on my shoes, and I feel like less of a man.

My hair is shaggy, and I'm growing a beard. I couldn't even grow facial hair before I joined. I don't recognize the person in the mirror anymore but, my wife wants me to looke "less Marine-y." When the barber asked if I wanted my neck cut straight across or rounded off, I actually didn't know how to answer the question.

Also- Apparently it doesn't matter when I come into work, or what days I take off, so long as I work 40 hours a week. Also if I want to take a vacation, I just say so, and I can leave the next day if the urge overtakes me. I can talk directly to my boss if anything happens, and am encouraged to do so, without the use of 5 steps inbetween. I asked a manager what the "chain of command" was, and he stared at me blankly, and blinked twice.

How do you people do it? I don't think I'm ever going to get used to this, especially if I keep going to work and seeing all my Marines still being all "Marine-y" Anyone here have any pearls of wisdom?

The world will not end in a blinding flash of light or virulent pestilence. It will end with me choking the life out of it with my bare hands.
Variable is offline   Reply With Quote