View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 06:11 AM   #11
Gambit
Forum wh0re

Send a message via ICQ to Gambit Send a message via AIM to Gambit Send a message via Yahoo to Gambit

I use Firefox. It's a mini-mozilla; doesn't have the email and stuff that some people, like me, think of as bloat. However, "the internet was designed for IE" is a blatantly incorrect statement, Ferret!

Let me share some of the reasons I prefer Firefox to IE:
1. Sites have the ability to collect your email addy and certain other information from your system, if you use IE and a MS mail reader like outlook express.
2. IE has the ability to run ActiveX controls. Meaning that a malicious site admin or a virus can basically run anything they want on your computer. Yes, you can turn that off in the security settings, but then you can't see Flash sigs and such! Another alternative is to have it prompt you every time it wants to display an ActiveX control. That gets annoying quick. Mozilla/Firefox has plugins that you can install with a click; one of them is a .SWF player.
3. Mozilla/Firefox has lots o' plugins. There's plugins to help you with your tabbed browsing issues, Gryph - I personally LOVE tabbed browsing. There's plugins that let you NOT play a SWF unless you click on it (hide those annoying advertisements). There's plugins that let you remove any object from a rendered page (poof goes that annoying advert). There's also a setting, not sure if it's a plugin or not, that lets you control the number of times an animated .gif plays (0, 1, continuous, or author-specified). I use all of these to control my browser experience.
4. There are a couple configuration files, kind of like a client-side CSS file, that further lets you control how you want things to look or act.

In general, I don't like the tight integration of IE with the OS. So I wanted a non-IE solution. I looked at a few and settled on Firefox. There are one or two sites I hit occasionally that I need to use IE for, but other than that it's FF exclusively.

Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained.
-The Tao of Programming
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote