View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Raiyven
Big Bad Thread Boogeyman

Send a message via ICQ to Raiyven Send a message via MSN to Raiyven

EDIT: Sh@rp beat me to posting, i'm not responding to him

Well put.

I think the concept of Pride itself is noble; the simply be proud and secure of who you are, what you want to be, who you want to be, and the lifestyle you want to lead. Take pride in being yourself, without the overwhelming worry of ostracisation or hatred furled upon you by the narrow minded. Be proud of being yourself.

Unfortunately, as you said, most people look at the gay community and expect to see a lisping, limp-wristed man or a butchy buzz-cut woman. That stereotype, as all stereotypes do, destroy the individualism of those within the community because gays one and all get branded with that same image as a form of insult. Some of it gets worse and turns to violence, as you well know.

With regards to what you said about the changed face of Pride, i understand what you're saying in that all it has succeeded to do now is promote that stereotype, and rightly so it infuriates you, because you as a living representative of that community get imaged as someone you aren't, and in doing so, it destroys that fundamental principle of what i think Pride is meant to be, an expression of individualism. It, in that capacity, ceases to function.

No matter what happens, universal acceptance won't ever be attained throughout every society in the world. There will, unfortunately, always be someone who will want to do or think otherwise, it's just the way of the human race (stupid as it can be most often). But i think the important step in garnering acceptance of the gay community in the face of religious-based intolerance (lets face it, the whole damn problem is based on the goddamn bible) is not to try and convince everyone at once, but just a few people. Just knowing you and growing up with you through high school and after has given me this realization that not everyone is this stereotype, that everyone regardless of creed or sexual preference is an individual, and i feel stronger for having been able to come to realize that acceptance through knowing you as an individual.

please don't get me wrong in saying that not having known personally a member of the gay community is an excuse for hatred. there is never an excuse whatsoever for any kind of prejudice

"For in that we are both especially daring and especially thorough in calculating what we attempt, we can truly be distinguished from other men, for whom ignorance is boldness but calculation brings hesitancy. Rightly would they be judged strongest in spirit who recognize both dangers and pleasures with utmost clarity and are on neither count deterred from risks."

- Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War: 2.40, "The Funeral Oration of Perikles" (431 BCE)

Last edited by Raiyven; 06-23-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Raiyven is offline   Reply With Quote