View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #8
Aluscia
Emo Queen
1000th Thread Main Forum

Send a message via MSN to Aluscia

I'm reading this thread with a big bubble to protect myself this time. I did not anticipate the other thread to turn into an intervention for my "immortal soul".

I believe firmly that trusting in God will bring about what he wants to happen. What I also believe is that God gives us answers in forms we're not expecting, so we don't see them. We're all expecting the flash of light, the miraculous outcomes, the angels flying down from heaven. We're not waiting for the whispers at night, the fleeting idea to pass through our mind, the kindly person who gives a cryptic message. God speaks in a lot of ways, and I think we as a society have desensitized ourselves to His voice.

About homosexuality.......... I was in a relationship where there were no PSAs (Public shows of Affection). Everytime I got close to him, there was a very stern look, and then it was like we were barely friends. I know some Hetero relationships that are similar, but never to the same extent. There is a real fear of what people will do/say. And I, for one, feel there's no point in worrying about it. The people who have an open mind and start out with a negative opinion will change their opinion of Gay people once they start spending time with me (or so I hope...), and the people with no objectionality on the subject will still curl their lips in scorn and try to "save me from myself" or w/e.

Marriage is about more than state-granted rights. If civil unions were all that us Homos wanted, we could have gotten it easily enough. The reason we want the freedom to Marry is because it is a communal recognition of one's affection and dedication to another. You see a wedding ring, you know that person is taken. You know that person has dedicated themselves to another, and (presumably), knows the meaning of life-long vows. And yes, I know all these things can exist with a civil union, but it's the full Marriage that brings the community together. It's having your parents and friends come under the roof of God, where no lie can be tolerated and all unions are blessed, and witness the twisting of your souls in perfect unity. It's knowing that your blessing has a place in God's plan (which, admittedly, many Christians don't agree with. If you want the reasons, read the other thread).

Just this month, my Synod (the Synod Diocese of Niagara, for you keener researchers out there) voted 66% in favour of blessing same-sex marriages on a parish-by-parish permission basis (a parish would have to petition the Bishop to become a "blessing" community, to be allowed to Bless same-sex unions... I think it has to do with showing that the whole parish supports that decision, and that it won't cause a divide at the roots). Unfortunately (although not unexpectedly), the Bishop withoutheld his consent from the motion. I know for a fact that Bishop Ralph would sign and seal this without a doubt in his mind if the Anglican Communion were ready. However, with the release of the Windsor report, and the decision of our National church, we're stuck for now at least. He had to decline based on church unity, and I'm sure it pained him because of how much Diocesonal support there was. Next year, the issue will come up again, and I'm sure it will pass by a greater degree.

I guess my religious beliefs are simplistic. I don't like "idolizing" the Bible. I like my one-on-one relationship with JC/Dad/Holy Spirit. I feel that the only "restrictions" that exist are things that would break the two great commandments (which, pretty much, are also things restricted by secular law). Instead of PUSH (praying until something happens) or FROG (fully rely on God) or WWJD, I think all we need to do is to love one another and God, and raise our voices in praise to the one who makes this world possible. Sending an occasional prayer in always helps, it's the listening for the answer we all need to work on

Favourite Song of the moment - Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Aluscia is offline   Reply With Quote