The Hounds of Zeus

The Hounds of Zeus (https://thzclan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stang's Bitch Pit (https://thzclan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Geek me up Scotty, Save Enterprise (https://thzclan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3084)

Ghryphen 02-12-2005 11:02 AM

Geek me up Scotty, Save Enterprise

If you haven't heard already, UPN is canceling Star Trek: Enterprise. We just watched last weeks episode, we record them every week, and they mentioned "Tune if for the last episodes of Enterprise" when showing scenes for next weeks episode so I decided to look it up and sure enough they are canceling it. Here is the news:

Quote:

By Christian
February 2, 2005 - 8:17 PM

Star Trek: Enterprise will come to an end following the airing of an as yet untitled series finale on May the 13th, 2005.

UPN and Paramount today jointly announced the show's cancellation. "Star Trek has been an important part of UPN's history, and Enterprise has carried on the tradition of its predecessors with great distinction," UPN Entertainment president Dawn Ostroff said. "We'd like to thank Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and an incredibly talented cast for creating an engaging, new dimension to the Star Trek universe on UPN, and we look forward to working with them, and our partners at Paramount Network Television, on a send-off that salutes its contributions to The Network and satisfies its loyal viewers."

Paramount Network Television president David Stapf added, "The creators, stars and crew of Star Trek: Enterprise ambitiously and proudly upheld the fine traditions of the Star Trek franchise. We are grateful for their contributions to the legacy of Trek and commend them on completing nearly 100 exciting, dramatic and visually stunning episodes. All of us at Paramount warmly bid goodbye to Enterprise, and we all look forward to a new chapter of this enduring franchise in the future."

TrekToday sources report that CBS president Les Moonves himself yesterday reached the decision to pull the plug on Enterprise. Most Enterprise crew members only found out about their show's cancellation this morning.

Enterprise only barely qualified for renewal a year ago, but was given a final chance by UPN to prove itself after Paramount agreed to drastically cut the show's license fee. The show underwent several major changes this year, including a move from Wednesday night to Friday and the appointment of new showrunner Manny Coto, but the most important thing didn't change - the show's low ratings. Last week, "Babel One" set a new series low for Enterprise, attracting just over 2.5 million viewers.

No official details have yet been released for the final episode of the series, beyond the fact it will be written by Enterprise creators Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Recently, Paramount was rumoured to be in negotiations with Jonathan Frakes (William T. Riker) and Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) for a guest appearance on the final episode (story), although Sirtis has since denied this (story).

Although UPN has now officially decided to not bring back Enterprise for a fifth season, two fan campaigns are still working to try and change the network's mind. SaveEnterprise.com and the Enterprise Project have combined to form EnterpriseFans.com, an organisation trying to raise money to promote Enterprise with an ad in USA Today.
This really sucks, I think it is a great series. Deep Space 9 was the worst, yet it seemed it was on forever. I hope it can be saved.

Stang 02-12-2005 01:45 PM

Maybe SciFi will pick up.

FaLLGuY 02-13-2005 07:23 AM

That would be cool if they did. Star Trek "The Next Generation" was my favorite. :D

Aluscia 02-13-2005 07:40 AM

TNG was the best series as well, with it really *making* a lot of those actors famous, with the exception of Picard (he was already quite famous, but really only as a stage actor).

I honestly think it's time to for it die. There's only so much you can extrapolate without the creator still alive. I enjoyed DS:9, but hated Voyager. Since I had no cable, I didn't watch much of either series... but I really think it's time to revision. People are looking for "realistic" shows right now, so I'm sure that's where their funds are best spent (for now).

LoS-NutzholzWolf 02-13-2005 10:37 AM

On Startrek.com they said the show will not be shopped, aka it will not be sold to any other channel. Personally I think Enterprise is the best startrek since TNG and brought back a lot of what TOS stood for. I think the only reason its not doing well is because it reseambles too much of reality and what the majority seek to ignore, just like TOS. I have been waiting for them to release the DVD set and I hope if they see them fly off the selfs they will see that Enterprise is very muched watched and loved.

I think the way they measure veiwers has failled to keep up with modern times. Millions of people have TiVo or some other system like that, and can watch the show on their own time and multiple times as their heart contened. They also can't get accurate readings when it comes to young veiwers who are too young to particapate in such polls. I know many people who watch the shows off the internet, probably illeagely. I had heard reports saying that the episodes with Brent Spiner (TNG's Data) had the highest rating since launch but then I the recent reports say that those episodes had no real increace in viewing. I sometimes wonder if the companies that do the polls are actually givng real numbers or contorting TV to match what they want.

XMEN Ashaman DTM 02-13-2005 11:11 AM

You know... if you all remember, the original Star Trek didn't do well in it's ratings either. It was ahead of it's time in many ways, and that turned a lot of people off. Shows you how well ratings reflect what people like (otherwise, why the huge ST following?) ;)

Gambit 02-13-2005 03:35 PM

TNG was the best. When Voayager and DS9 were on, I preferred Voyager, but these days I prefer DS9. :)

I liked Enterprise all right for a couple of seasons, but I was never really a devoted follower.

SiFi 02-14-2005 08:21 AM

I've also never really been a big fan of Enterprise. Too much time travel for my tastes.

Voyager was my most disliked series, especially the final episode, which severly impacted on the stability of the universe. (In a literary sense, at least)

Stang 02-14-2005 03:14 PM

I like Voyager alot, DS9 I thought was a bad show for the Trek series. But I guess everyone has their likes and dislikes in the Star Trek series.

LoS-NutzholzWolf 02-28-2005 05:15 PM

Here is some new news on the effort to keep Enterprise.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...v_eo/16008&e=1

Stang 03-01-2005 03:10 PM

How is raising money going to make it stay? Last weeks episode was good but when I heard the line "Enterprise can't slow down below warp 5 or we will blow up" I was o m g they did not just say that! New writers please! I want the show to stay on also but not if they are going to stoop that low and use cheesy stuff like that.

Ghryphen 03-02-2005 09:25 AM

Star Trek: Speed starring Keanu Reeves as Captain of the USS Greyhound.

LoS-NutzholzWolf 03-02-2005 09:48 AM

There are people willing to pay millions to keep StarTrek Enterprise on. I am not talking about as a collective. I am talking about the same people who helped fund Spaceship One are willing to give 3 or more million dollars each to pay for the continued production of Enterprise.

Raiyven 03-02-2005 12:50 PM

it would be a sad thing to see ST:E go, because it would pretty much mark the end of the franchise. now, there's a whole other school of debate that says Voyager was the end of it, but once the initial humdrum of excitement over a new and different Trek series subsided, most people gave up on it... even its own actors! To paraphrase Patrick Stewart, Star Trek is as dead as vaudeville.

the franchise has been poorly handled... voyager went on so long most people forgot about it. a lot of people didn't like DS9 because it got dark (personally, i loved it as a departure from the rest of the typical star trek happiness). i'm sorry, but if anyone wants to point fingers, point it at whoever's driving the thing. i'm not qualified to really speak about this, but for someone who grew up on TNG, it saddens me to see Enterprise go, because it really DID have potential, and some of the stories are great (the whole Xindi arc for example was excellent, imho), but it's been killed by the people driving it.

my two cents.

Stang 03-02-2005 03:09 PM

Very well put Raiyven right on.

You can put as much money into as you want but that doesnt make it a good series its the writing of each show that keeps it going on and on. Put some new writers in there and get it back on track. I was hoping to see how this crew met captian Kirk. Tie all the treks together like they have.